This FAQ's page, first published in May 2014, is designed to be a dynamic space for addressing current topics in nurse anesthesia accreditation. Content has been added to address member questions related to educational standards. For additional clarification on these FAQs, or if you have other questions, comments or concerns not addressed here, please Contact Us.
Composition of the COA
- What is the composition of the COA?
- How is the composition of the COA determined?
- What criteria must a candidate meet to serve as a director on the COA?
Development of COA Standards
- What was the rationale for establishing a minimum total case number requirement of 600 cases, rather than the proposed 650 cases in the first draft Standards?
- What was the rationale for requiring a minimum number of clinical hours?
- How did the COA establish the clinical experience requirements for the Standards for Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Programs – Practice Doctorate?
- How do the COA Standards support the full scope of nurse anesthesia practice?
- What is the Council’s process for a major revision to the Standards?
- How did the COA determine the entrance requirements for applicants to nurse anesthesia educational programs, including the requirement for a minimum of one year of critical care experience?
- Should a standardized entrance examination(s) be required for applicants to nurse anesthesia educational programs?
- What is the role of the Council in regard to the profit margins of nurse anesthesia programs?
- What is the process for granting initial accreditation to new nurse anesthesia programs?
- What role should accreditation Standards play in regulating the CRNA workforce?
- How do students "teach others?"
- Can non-CRNA faculty serve as advisors to SRNAs?
Council Review of Complaints and Concerns
- Does the COA receive complaints or concerns and what is the nature of the complaints?
- How is a complaint about a program or the COA brought to the attention of the COA?
For additional clarification on the above FAQs, or if you have other questions, comments or concerns not addressed here, please Contact Us.